A mathematical proof that there is no ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œclimate crisisÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â has been published in debate on global warming in Physics and Society, a scientific publication of the 46,000-strong American Physical Society.
Christopher Monckton, who once advised Margaret Thatcher, demonstrates via 30 equations that computer models used by the UNÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s climate panel (IPCC) were pre-programmed with overstated values for the three variables whose product is ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œclimate sensitivityÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â (temperature increase in response to greenhouse-gas increase), resulting in a 500-2000% overstatement of CO2ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s effect on temperature in the IPCCÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s latest climate assessment report, published in 2007.
The article, entitled Climate Sensitivity Reconsidered demonstrates that later this century a doubling of the concentration of CO2 compared with pre-industrial levels will increase global mean surface temperature not by the 6 Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â°F predicted by the IPCC but, harmlessly, by little more than 1 Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â°F. Lord Monckton concludes ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“
ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦ Perhaps real-world climate sensitivity is very much below the IPCCÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s estimates. Perhaps, therefore, there is no ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‹Å“climate crisisÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ at all. ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦ The correct policy approach to a non-problem is to have the courage to do nothing.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â
Larry Gould, Professor of Physics at the University of Hartford and Chair (2004) of the New England Section of the American Physical Society (APS), has been studying climate-change science for four years. He said:
ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œI was impressed by an hour-long academic lecture which criticized claims about ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‹Å“global warmingÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ and explained the implications of the physics of radiative transfer for climate change. I was pleased that the audience responded to the informative presentation with a prolonged, standing ovation. That is what happened when, at the invitation of the President of our University, Christopher Monckton lectured here in Hartford this spring. I am delighted that Physics and Society, an APS journal, has published his detailed paper refining and reporting his important and revealing results.
ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œTo me the value of this paper lies in its dispassionate but ruthlessly clear exposition ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ or, rather, exposÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â© ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ of the IPCCÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s method of evaluating climate sensitivity. The detailed arguments in this paper, and, indeed, in a large number of other scientific papers, point up extensive errors, including numerous projection errors of climate models, as well as misleading statements by the IPCC. Consequently, there are no rational grounds for believing either the IPCC or any other claims of dangerous anthropogenic ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‹Å“global warmingÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â
Lord MoncktonÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s paper reveals that ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“
- The IPCCÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s 2007 climate summary overstated CO2ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s impact on temperature by 500-2000%;
- CO2 enrichment will add little more than 1 Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â°F (0.6 Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â°C) to global mean surface temperature by 2100;
- Not one of the three key variables whose product is climate sensitivity can be measured directly;
- The IPCCÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s values for these key variables are taken from only four published papers, not 2,500;
- The IPCCÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s values for each of the three variables, and hence for climate sensitivity, are overstated;
- ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œGlobal warmingÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â halted ten years ago, and surface temperature has been falling for seven years;
- Not one of the computer models relied upon by the IPCC predicted so long and rapid a cooling;
- The IPCC inserted a table into the scientistsÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ draft, overstating the effect of ice-melt by 1000%;
- It was proved 50 years ago that predicting climate more than two weeks ahead is impossible;
- Mars, Jupiter, NeptuneÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s largest moon, and Pluto warmed at the same time as Earth warmed;
- In the past 70 years the Sun was more active than at almost any other time in the past 11,400 years.